How about you?

Feel free to share in the comments what you ate today. I have a sneaking suspicion it will make one of us feel better.

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Day 119: The Day I Rejoiced in Hand-Me-Downs

I am the large sister in my family -- the tallest, the largest-boned, the longest feet. My mom still loves to share that I was her biggest* baby. "8lbs 9 oz and not even an aspirin. Can you imagine?" She just told that story again last week. You would think it would lose its luster after nearly thirty-three years, but not for my mom. I have always been given hand-me-downs from the four older sisters. But not the usual I've-outgrown-these-so-you-can-have-them-smaller-sibling hand me downs. These were clothes that were too big for them. As they got slimmer, sleeker, trimmer, their "fat" clothes got passed down to me. One of my sisters in particular likes to give me her old maternity** clothes -- when I'm not pregnant. Not that I mind. They've always been well-dressed and who doesn't love free clothes?

Still, there is part of me that hates being the big little sister.

And then yesterday my neighbor and good, well-dressed friend gave me a pile of clothes -- a bunch of hand-me-downs. But these, these were different. All of them are a full-size smaller than what I currently own. She handed me to them and said, kind of sadly, "I really like them, but frankly, they don't really fit anymore. You're getting smaller and, well, I'm not."

Ha! How do you like that? My first true hand-me-downs! And the best part is this: when I put them on today they fit. Who knew I had dropped a size? I sure didn't.

And this is what I ate today ...

  • Honey Graham Crunh in 1% milk (breakfast)
  • Greek yogurt w. wheat germ, 1/4 of Abby's sesame bagel w/ cream cheese and turkey , water (lunch)
  • Grilled mozz and basil on my bread, TJ's tomato soup, Diet Rite (dinner)

Had this been all, my calorie total would have been 1,109. But I purposely underate so I could have shakes with the Harts while we watched a movie and not feel too horrible about it. That bumped me up to 1,898.

*I must add here that, while I appreciate that my birth was memorable in that it was one of the only ones my mom was conscious for and the only that was completely natural, an 8lb 9oz baby is not that remarkable. Am I delusional in thinking that it is a very average baby weight?

** Just to clarify, said sister is usually a size S or 4/6. Her "maternity" clothes are not actual maternity clothes -- they are just regular clothes sized 8/10/12 or M/L. She's not a total jerk.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Congrats on dropping a size! Enjoy your new clothes! I have never ever really gotten hand me downs either. I was the oldest sister and I never really gained any from friends because I am so tall and now heavier.