How about you?

Feel free to share in the comments what you ate today. I have a sneaking suspicion it will make one of us feel better.

Monday, March 22, 2010

Day 71: The Day We Started Counting Calories

Never in my life have I counted calories before. At Adam's suggestion, we took our self-proclaimed "Year of Fit" up a notch: using a handy little calculator, we figured out how many calories we each need in order to lose 1 lb a week and thereby reach our goal weights. No, I will not share mine, except to say that -- according to the calculator -- I should reach it by July 19th. My magic number is 1877, provided that I'm getting moderate exercise. Since mid-January I've been running between 2 and 3 miles 5 times a week. My plan is to work my way up to 5 miles. And I think we are registering for this race, should (either of) you care to join us. Twice I've cheered Adam along in this race; it's about time I joined him.
  • 378 calories worth of the leftover Vegan chocolate cake the girls made for Danielle last night. I won't tell you how many pieces that was. And yes, it was totally breaking my dessert rule. (breakfast)
  • 1/2 Greek yogurt, glass of milk
  • black bean burger w/ mango salsa & lettuce, water, fudgesicle (lunch)
  • 16 dark chocolate chips, serving of pretzels
  • slice of WW bread w/ SB
  • egg blindfolded over garlic-cheddar grits, WW tortilla, roasted sweet potato, water (dinner)
total calories: 1,680

I ran out of time before I ran out of calories. I'll plan more wisely tomorrow.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

One cup Oatmeal Square in one cup of low fat milk (what a sad breakfast)

Pistachios

Two black bean burgers on Monica's homemade rolls with lettuce and cheddar cheese
Bag of tortilla chips
Mango salsa and guacamole


One egg over easy with cheddar cheese grits
Banana

Calorie total: approximately 1750; well below my 2000 calorie limit

xhart said...

1 crumb-topped blueberry muffin with a little butter

2 small sandwiches made from leftover pork loin

One small package of M&Ms

A small, overpriced, untasty "Italian Wrap" from Penn Station. I was really hungry, but next time I'm just going to buy an apple.

Upon reaching home -- 2 tacos, 1 meat burrito.

xhart said...

I would really like to do a 10k but I think I am not ready yet. (am I one of the "either of" you were inviting?) I am thinking of setting a goal for a 5k later this year... maybe you guys can shame me into it.

Ami has pooh-poohed the idea of counting calories, but I was intrigued. What kind of calculator are you using?

Monica Rich said...

I'm keeping track of my daily intake with Google's calorie counter. And then there is this fancy little gadget which is really helpful, since most of what we eat are things I make from scratch.
http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/recipe_analysis.php

I love that you can just copy and paste ingredients and get its caloric content.